Names on the buses

910 Thomas Lainson




Connections with Brighton and Hove : One of the most prolific Brighton and Hove architects during the 19th century was Thomas Lainson who was based at North Street. Born in 1825, he designed many notably buildings both in Brighton and Hove. These included the Vallance estate and Cliftonville Congregational Church. Lainson also designed the ornate and beautiful synagogue in Middle Street, the chapel at Bristol Road, houses in Norfolk Terrace and the New Club in King’s Road. Perhaps his best known building in Hove was Brooker Hall, designed as a private villa but later to become the town’s museum. Lainson was also responsible for the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children which was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1881. This handsome building has been much altered through the years and is now being replaced by a new building on the Royal Sussex County Hospital site at Eastern Road. Lainson also built the fine warehouse in Holland Road known for many years as Pickfords. With his son, he designed a large number of homes especially in the Poets Corner area of Hove. He died in 1898.

910 Scania Omnidekka - carried name since delivery in September 2006 in Metro 25 livery. Changed to Coaster livery March 2008. Repainted into revised Coaster livery September 2011. Coaster branding removed November 2014.

Middle Street Synagogue