Names on the buses

901 Charles Burt Brill

Connections with Brighton and Hove : Charles Burt Brill was a member of a famous Brighton family, who founded baths at the foot of East Street, he qualified as a solicitor later in the 19th century and changed his name from Brill to Burt Brill so that, as a professional person, he was not regarded as being associated with trade! Burt Brill had offices from 1901 in Old Steine near the junction with Pool Valley. The firm became one of the best known legal practices in town. The name was changed to Burt Brill and Edwards when Arthur Edwards joined and later to Burt Brill and Cardens on merging with the long-established firm of Cardens. Charles Burt Brill had a house called Fieldhead built for him in Dyke Road Avenue before the Second World War and lived there for many years. His grandfather, Charles Brill, owned Brill’s Royal Baths which were in East Street, Grand Junction Road and Pool Valley. The distinctive circular baths were a well known feature in Brighton in the Victorian era and survived well into last century. Charles Brill inherited the baths from his uncle in the 1840s when they were 20 years old and had them rebuilt in 1869. The building, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and costing 90,000, contained the largest swimming bath in Europe, and held 80,000 gallons of water. There were also cold water and vapour baths in the building which boasted reading and billiard rooms. In 1929 it was demolished to make way for the Savoy cinema, later the ABC, which has been converted into a casino, restaurants and bars.

901 Scania Omnidekka - carried name since delivery in September 2006 in Metro 25 livery. Rebranded to Coaster 12 livery in August 2008. Repainted into revised Coaster livery July 2011. Coaster branding removed February 2015.

Burt Brill and Cardens