Names on the buses

853 William Marsh

855 William Marsh

Connections with Brighton and Hove : Electric trams run by Brighton Corporation started running in 1901 in an early example of municipal enterprise. Four years later William Marsh was appointed as general manager and engineer and he became something of a local legend. Under his guidance, the tram system of nearly ten miles was used to run regular, efficient and cheap public transport. Sadly, the council decided to scrap the system through lack of flexibility in 1939, replacing it with trolleybuses. By this time the trams had run more than 50 million miles and carried more than 6000 passengers. They also made a profit for the town. Marsh remained at the helm until the end, retiring when the trams disappeared.

853 Dennis Trident - carried name since delivery in March 2001, on METRO Line 5, repainted into new livery from September 2004. Metro 5 branding removed March 2009. Bus sold in February 2014. Name reappeared on 855 Mercedes Streetdeck in December 2017.

A Brighton Tram (photo courtesy of the Dinnages Library)