Names on the buses

851 The Lawrence Sisters

936 The Lawrence Sisters

Connections with Brighton and Hove : Probably the most famous girls’ school in Britain, Roedean was founded in 1885 by three sisters, Dorothy, Millicent and Penelope Lawrence. It was based in Lewes Crescent, had ten girls and was so modest that it did not even have a name. The school expanded to include other addresses in Kemp Town before moving to Sussex Square where it was known as Wimbledon House School. Its grand buildings overlooking the sea at Roedean were designed by Sir John Simpson on land owned by the Marquess of Abergavenny. Work started on the imposing structure in 1897 and was finished two years later. The school expanded steadily after that and now has many other buildings. It has one of the best academic records in the country.

851 Dennis Trident - carried name since delivery in March 2001, on METRO Line 5, repainted into new livery from October 2004. Metro 5 branding removed February 2009. Bus sold in February 2014. Name reappeared on 936 Mercedes Streetdeck in April 2015.

Roedean School