Names on the buses

847 Earl of Egremont

Connections with Brighton and Hove : He was the Lord who resided at Petworth House in West Sussex, one of the great mansions of England, which is now owned by the National Trust. Lord Egremont was one of a group of noblemen who established the first races at Brighton in 1783. The racecourse is still there to this day. J M W Turner, the painter, came to Brighton several times while staying with his friend, Lord Egremont at Petworth House, where his descendants still live. Some of his works including a painting of the Chain Pier are on display in the house. For a time he resided in East Lodge in Brighton and Egremont Place is named after him. The Earl also helped establish the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Eastern Road in the 1820s.

847 Dennis Trident - carried name since delivery in March 2001, on METRO Line 5, repainted into new Metro 5 livery July 2005. Repainted into standard livery July 2009. Bus sold in March 2015.

St Mary’s Church