Names on the buses

814 Sir Charles Thomas-Stanford

437 Sir Charles Thomas-Stanford

Connections with Brighton and Hove : Sir Charles Thomas Stanford and his wife, Lady Ellen, lived at Preston Manor on the outskirts of Brighton. The house was largely built in 1738 but after the Thomas-Stanfords moved there in 1905, they employed architect Charles Reilly to carry out alterations. which included a new west wing. They both died in the year 1932 and left the lovely eighteenth century manor to Brighton Corporation. Ever since then, it has been opened to the public and is currently shown as in its Edwardian peak. Sir Charles and Lady Ellen, who were also Mayor and Mayoress of Brighton, will also be remembered in the city fort their generous gift. Not only did they leave the house to the town but they also bequeathed it pictures, clocks, furniture, paintings, silver and porcelain.

814 Dennis Trident - carried name since delivery in May 1999, originally named as Charles Thomas-Stanford, Sir added in July 1999, originally on METRO Line 1 then repainted in new livery from March 2004. March 2012 name transferred to new Volvo Gemini 437 on Route 1.

Preston Manor