Names on the buses

681 Sir George Lewis




Connections with Brighton and Hove : Anyone who visits The Grange in Rottingdean can thank Sir George Lewis for leaving the village such a delightful building. A solicitor in the family firm of Lewis and Lewis, Sir George bought the building, once a vicarage, from the artist Sir William Nicholson. He had it restored, remodelled and extended by Sir Edwin Lutyens whose major works include the Cenotaph in Whitehall and government buildings in New Delhi. Locally other works by Lutyens include a house in Roedean and the war memorial in Hove. The Grange is a good example of his skills. Brighton Council bought the Grange for public use after Sir George had died in 1927 aged 59. It now houses a library, a tearoom and a museum run by the Rottingdean Preservation Society. Sir George Lewis's father, who went by the same name, was solicitor to Edward VII who created him a baronet. He was one of the best known lawyers in Britain and moved in high society. His son, also Sir George, the third baronet, was killed on active service during the Second World War in France.

681 Scania Omnidekka - carried name since delivery in October 2007 in Regency livery. Branding removed October 2010. New Regency 29 branding added March 2011. Repainted into new Regency livery October 2014. Regency branding removed May 2016.