Names on the buses

641 John Jackson

Connections with Brighton and Hove : The first manager of Brighton and Hove Albion, Jackson was also the club's founder and a vital figure in its history. Born in 1861, he lived and worked in the Midlands and had a fairly undistinguished playing career for clubs in that area. Jackson moved to the south coast and was instrumental in running Brighton United, a club with a see-saw career before it folded. He then ran the Farm Tavern in Farm Road Hove. In 1901, Jackson was probably the most experienced footballing organiser in the town and it was no surprise that he became involved in forming a new club which became Brighton and Hove Albion. However Jackson became embroiled in a scandal over irregular payments to players and after an n FA inquiry, was censured. He left and later ran several pubs in Brighton including the Camden Arms in Kemp Street and the Running Horse in King Street. After his death aged 70, Jackson was buried in an unmarked grave in Brighton.

641 - Scania Omnidekka carried name since September 2004 on Coaster 12. Repainted into Metro 25 livery in July 2008. Metro 25 branding removed April 2012.

The Farm Tavern